Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 99
A 11
K 3 Unsettled
X-Ray C2.4
Wind 432.2 km/s
Aurora 4
Updated 08:30 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Poor 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

first WWFF activation - way more complicated than I expected lol

so I finally decided to do my first WWFF activation last weekend at a state park near me (KFF-2341 for anyone who knows the area) and honestly I kind of underestimated how much goes into it. Not technically, I mean I've done POTA a bunch of times and figured it would be similar, but the whole reference system and logging for WWFF specifically caught me off guard a bit.

For context I was running my KX2 with a 20m end fed, conditions were decent, got about 40 contacts in maybe 90 minutes which felt pretty good. But when I went to upload my log I wasn't totally sure if I needed to submit to both the WWFF database AND wwff.groups.io or just one. Also my park apparently has both a KFF and a WWFF reference number and I still dont fully understand when you use which one.

Anyone done a bunch of these that can kind of walk me through the logging side of things? The operating part was great, really enjoyed it, but the admin side is a little confusing for a first timer.

  • Replies 1
  • Views 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

yeah the dual reference thing trips up a lot of people the first time. basically WWFF is the global program and KFF is the US flavor of it - when you're operating in the US you log the KFF reference but it also counts as a WWFF reference automatically, they're linked in the database. so you don't have to enter both separately, just the KFF number and the WWFF folks can find it.

for uploading, Fast Log Entry works great for generating an ADIF that plays nice with the WWFF Logsearch upload. you dont need to post to the groups.io unless you want to self-spot or share trip notes, thats more of a community thing than a requirement. the actual log submission just goes through the Logsearch portal. once you do it once it's pretty straightforward, the first time is always the weird one

40 contacts on a KX2 with an end fed at a state park sounds like a solid first activation to me, nice work. I did my first one a couple months ago and I was so focused on getting the antenna up before the rain came in that I forgot to write down the exact time I started operating and had to estimate it in the log. Probably fine but it stressed me out way more than it should have. Anyway welcome to the WWFF rabbit hole, there's a surprisingly active community around it especially for the rarer nature references.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.