First SOTA activation didn't go quite as planned but still had a blast
- Replies 1
- Views 51
- Created
- Last Reply
Top Posters In This Topic
-
James Taylor 1 post
-
Linda Thompson 1 post
A better way to browse. Learn more.
A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.
So I finally did my first SOTA activation last weekend, been meaning to try it for probably two years now and just kept putting it off. Took the FT-818 and a homebrew EFHW up to a local summit here in the Appalachians, nothing crazy high, like a 6 pointer I think, and honestly I was nervous about the whole thing more than I expected to be.
Setup went fine, got the wire up in a tree using a throw bag and everything looked good on the antenna analyzer. Started calling CQ SOTA on 40m and got... nothing for like 20 minutes. Started to wonder if the radio was even keying properly. Eventually I remembered to actually self-spot on the SOTAwatch app and within about 90 seconds I had a pileup which was kind of wild. Got my 4 contacts no problem and ended up with maybe 15 total before the battery started getting low.
The thing nobody told me is how much the terrain messes with your signal on 2m. I brought the handheld thinking id work some locals for easy contacts but the ridgeline was blocking everything to the south where most of the population is. Lesson learned I guess. Also the summit reference lookup on the SOTA database is a little confusing at first, took me a while to figure out the association/region/summit hierarchy. Anyway if anyone else has been on the fence about trying activations just do it, its way more fun than I expected even when stuff doesnt go perfectly.
Link to comment
https://www.hamradiobase.com/forums/topic/7288-first-sota-activation-didnt-go-quite-as-planned-but-still-had-a-blast/Share on other sites