Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 99
A 11
K 3 Unsettled
X-Ray B8.6
Wind 414.5 km/s
Aurora 3
Updated 12:00 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Poor 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

just starting to study for my tech license, where do I even begin

so I've been wanting to get into ham radio for a while now, my neighbor is licensed and keeps telling me to just go for it. I finally decided to actually try but I'm kind of overwhelmed by where to start. I downloaded something called the question pool but it's like 400 questions and I don't really understand half of it. is there like a specific order I should study them in or do people just memorize the whole thing? also I don't have a background in electronics at all so some of the electrical stuff is going over my head. any tips would be appreciated

  • Replies 1
  • Views 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

honestly the question pool isnt as bad as it looks when you first open it. what worked for me was using hamstudy.org - you just do the practice tests over and over and it starts to feel familiar pretty quick. I had zero electronics background too and passed in like 3 weeks just drilling the questions in the evenings. the electrical theory stuff you kind of just memorize the formulas without fully understanding them at first and thats okay, it clicks later when you actually start messing with gear. dont stress too much about understanding every single thing deeply before the test, just get licensed and learn the rest on the air

I'd actually push back a little on pure memorization - there's a few sections, particularly the electrical principles and the antenna stuff, where if you understand even the basics of what's going on it makes a whole category of questions basically free answers. like if you get Ohm's law you're not memorizing three separate questions, you're just doing simple math. Gordon West's study guide is what a lot of people around here recommend, it's pretty readable even if you've never touched a radio. but yeah hamstudy is solid for drilling once you've gone through the material once. the pool does get updated periodically so just double check you're studying the current version, I think there was a refresh not too long ago

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.