Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 99
A 11
K 2 Quiet
X-Ray C1.8
Wind 392.8 km/s
Aurora 3
Updated 14:30 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Good 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

first ARES activation was not what I expected - sharing some thoughts

So I finally got activated for an actual ARES deployment last month during the flooding we had in the county and I wanted to write up some thoughts while its still fresh because I wish someone had told me some of this stuff before I showed up.

First off the training exercises really dont prepare you for how much sitting around there is. Like I had done all the SET exercises and the weekly nets and I thought I had a pretty good handle on things but when we actually got called in to support the EOC it was a lot of hurry up and wait. Which I guess makes sense when you think about it but still.

The biggest thing that caught me off guard was ICS. I mean we do ICS 100 and 200 in ARES training but actually being inside a real activated EOC and figuring out your place in the structure is different from a tabletop. The EC was great about integrating us but I could tell some of the served agency people didnt really know what to do with us at first.

Anyway I guess my question is - for those of you who have done multiple real activations, does it get easier to just kind of slot into whatever role is needed? Or do you always feel a bit like you're figuring it out as you go?

  • Replies 1
  • Views 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

yeah it absolutely gets easier but honestly you never fully stop figuring it out on the fly, thats just the nature of emergency comms. every activation is different because every emergency is different and the served agency has different needs each time.

what helped me the most was doing more ICS training beyond the basics - 700 and 800 are worth doing even though they feel like overkill for a ham. once you understand how the whole system is supposed to flow, you can figure out where you fit a lot faster. also just volunteering for every exercise you can, even ones outside your county. i drove two hours to do a hospital drill last year just for the experience and learned more in one afternoon than from months of nets.

the sitting around thing never really goes away though, fair warning. bring a book or something to do with your hands for the slow periods, it helps keep you sharp when things do pick up.

This is really helpful to read, I've been in ARES for about 8 months and haven't been activated yet so I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. We've done a few SIMCOM exercises and one SET and it does feel kind of abstract sometimes. Good to know the ICS piece is real - our EC keeps pushing us to take those courses and I keep putting it off but maybe I should actually do it before the next exercise.

Did you end up using HF or mostly VHF/UHF during the deployment? Our group mostly trains on 2m but I'm wondering if I should be working on my HF setup too just in case.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.