Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 93
A 11
K 3 Unsettled
X-Ray B9.2
Wind 423.8 km/s
Aurora 3
Updated 07:30 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Poor 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

finally pulling the trigger on a paddle - what should I even be looking for

So I've been using a straight key for about 8 months now and I can send maybe 12-13 wpm somewhat cleanly on a good day, but I keep reading that learning to use a paddle and iambic keyer is the next step and I'm honestly just confused about where to start. Like I understand the mechanical idea but when people talk about iambic mode A vs mode B my eyes just glaze over.

I was looking at the Begali Simplex and also the Vibroplex brass racer just because those seem to come up a lot, but I have no idea if either one is actually right for someone at my level or if I'd just be wasting money on a nice paddle before I even know what I want. Is there a middle ground option that would let me get a feel for paddle sending without dropping $200+ right away? And does the keyer built into most modern rigs do an ok job or should I be thinking about a separate unit eventually

sorry for the somewhat disorganized question, just trying to figure out where to start

  • Replies 1
  • Views 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

Dont overthink the iambic mode thing at first honestly - most beginners default to mode A and just stay there forever and its totally fine. The difference only really matters once you're squeezing letters regularly and even then a lot of experienced ops just pick whichever their radio defaults to and move on.

For a first paddle I'd look at the Bencher BY-1. Its not glamorous and purists will give you grief but it's well made, the tension and spacing are adjustable enough that you can actually learn proper technique on it, and if you decide CW isn't your thing or you want something nicer later you havent lost a ton of money. Picked mine up used for like 45 bucks years ago and still have it as a backup. The keyer in most modern rigs like an IC-7300 or FT-991 is perfectly fine to start, no need for an outboard unit until you start caring about things like memories or specific timing adjustments.

Just practice squeezing real words not just random letters - that's what actually builds muscle memory.

I went through this exact thing about a year ago and ended up getting a cheap GHD paddle off ebay, the Japanese ones, and it was honestly really good for the price. Build quality is solid and it felt way more real than I expected for under $80.

One thing nobody told me that I wish someone had - the transition from straight key to paddle is kinda humbling at first. Like I felt like a complete beginner again for at least a month even though I could copy 15wpm fine. The motor skills are just different. so dont panic if it feels terrible at first, it gets better fast once it clicks

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.