Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 99
A 11
K 3 Unsettled
X-Ray B8.6
Wind 414.5 km/s
Aurora 3
Updated 12:00 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Poor 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

confused about the vanity callsign process - when can I apply?

okay so I finally passed my general exam last month, got my callsign assigned and everything is showing up in the ULS database. the callsign I got is fine but honestly its kind of a mouthful and ive been eyeing a vanity call that belonged to a silent key in my area - a really clean 1x2 that I think looks great on a qsl card.

my question is basically - how long do I have to wait before I can apply for a vanity? I keep reading different things online, some say 60 days, some say you can apply right away after your license shows up in the system. also does it matter what class I am for which calls I can go after? like can a general go for any available call or are certain formats reserved for extras? I dont want to waste a fee on a rejected application

any help appreciated, been lurking here for a while and you all seem to know your stuff

  • Replies 1
  • Views 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

good news - you dont have to wait at all once your license is in the ULS. the 60 day thing you might be reading about is probably old info or someone confusing it with something else. as soon as you show up in the database you can file a vanity application through the FCC's site.

now the callsign format thing is real though. as a general you can apply for certain formats but not all of them. the 1x2 and 2x1 formats are reserved for extra class, so if the call you're looking at is one of those you'd get rejected. generals can go for 2x2 format calls in your district. if you upgrade to extra first then you can go after those shorter ones. worth looking into if that specific call is important to you - the extra exam really isnt that bad, especially since you already did general.

also the silent key situation - there's a window system. calls from a silent key get held for a period before they go into the general vanity pool, and during that window only certain applicants (like family members) can apply for them. after that window closes anyone can apply. ae7q.com is your best friend for tracking all this, it shows you exactly when a call becomes available and what stage its in.

went through this exact same thing last year so I can share what happened with me. I had my eye on a 2x2 call and filed like two weeks after my license posted. application went through fine, no issues. the whole thing took maybe 3 weeks from filing to getting the new callsign assigned, which honestly was faster than I expected.

the ae7q site the other person mentioned is really worth bookmarking, I checked it probably every day while I was waiting haha. one thing I didn't realize going in - you can list multiple callsigns on the vanity application in order of preference, so put your top choice first but have a few backups in case somone else snags it before your application processes

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.