Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 99
A 11
K 3 Unsettled
X-Ray C2.4
Wind 416.9 km/s
Aurora 4
Updated 09:00 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Poor 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

confused about how vanity callsigns actually work - do I just pick whatever I want?

okay so I just passed my general exam last week and im already thinking about getting a vanity call. right now I have one of those auto-assigned sequential ones and its not terrible but it's pretty long and hard to say phonetically without it sounding weird. anyway I went to the ULS website and honestly I got kind of lost. like do you just search for a call and then apply for it, or is there a waiting period or something? I saw something about a 15 day window mentioned somewhere but I dont fully understand what that means in context.

also can a general class just grab any available 1x2 or 2x1 or is that restricted to extras? I feel like I read that somewhere but I cant find it again. my brother is an extra and he said something about how the format matters but he wasnt totally clear on it either. just want to make sure I understand the process before I start the application and waste everyones time lol

  • Replies 1
  • Views 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

yeah the 15 day window thing trips a lot of people up. basically when a callsign becomes available (like when someone gets a new call or passes away and the call is released) it goes into this 15 day application window where anyone eligible can apply for it. if only one person applies they get it, if multiple people apply the FCC does a random selection among the applicants. after that window it just becomes first come first served.

as for the format question - yes that does matter based on your license class. generals can get a 1x3 or 2x3 format, extras have access to the shorter ones like 1x2, 2x1, 1x1 (1x1 is special event only though). so if you're seeing a nice short call you want and its in a format only extras can have, you'd need to upgrade first. worth checking before you get your heart set on something. the AE7Q website is way easier to use than the FCC ULS for searching available calls, I'd start there.

went through this exact thing about 8 months ago so I feel you. the AE7Q site someone usually mentions is genuinely the move, you can filter by district and format and see whats avialable or coming up. I ended up just grabbing a 2x3 in my district that was already available and the application went through in like 3 or 4 days. nothing fancy but it flows way better than what I had assigned.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.