Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 93
A 11
K 2 Quiet
X-Ray B8.3
Wind 432.7 km/s
Aurora 3
Updated 06:30 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Good 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

finally putting together a proper go-kit, what am I forgetting

so I've been meaning to do this for like two years and after the storm last month kind of lit a fire under me. we lost power for almost 4 days and even though I have my HF rig and a handheld I realized pretty quick that I wasnt actually as ready as I thought I was.

right now im building out a proper go-kit in one of those Apache cases from harbor freight. got my Yaesu FT-891 in there, a 40ah lifepo4 battery, some coax, and a few other odds and ends. planning to use a Wolf River Coils silver bullet antenna for portable HF since I can set it up pretty fast.

what I'm realizing is there's like a hundred little things I keep thinking of and then forgetting. like I remembered to pack a cheap multimeter but totally forgot extra fuses until my buddy mentioned it. and I have no idea how long my battery will actually last under real operating conditions, I keep meaning to do a proper test but haven't gotten around to it.

anyone else been through this process? what were the things that bit you in the butt that you didn't think about? also curious if anyone has a good way to track power draw without spending a ton of money on a fancy watt meter

  • Replies 1
  • Views 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

oh man the fuses thing is so real. I also forgot to pack a spare mic clip and my mic kept falling off the desk at the most annoying times during a drill. little stuff like that.

for power monitoring honestly the bayite or drok inline DC meters on amazon are like 12-15 bucks and work surprisingly well. not super precise but good enough to watch your voltage and see what you're pulling. I zip tied one to the outside of my case so I can glance at it without opening anything up.

one thing I would really suggest is doing a full overnight test before you actually need it. set your rig to whatever power level you'd realistically use, key up periodically like you would in an actual deployment, and just see how long it goes. I was shocked how much difference it made running 50w vs 100w over several hours. also write down your results and tape them inside the lid of the case, future you will thank you.

other stuff I had to learn the hard way: headlamp and extra batteries (obvious but I forgot), a notepad and multiple pens because pens always disappear, and some kind of rain cover or plastic bags for your coax connections if you're going to be outside. oh and a printed copy of local repeater freqs because your phone might be dead.

just got my technician a few months ago and been lurking this forum trying to learn about this stuff so I hope its ok to jump in. im in the middle of building my first kit too and its kind of overwhelming honestly. I dont even have an HF radio yet so mine is pretty basic, just my BF-F8HP and a nagoya antenna and I got a small 12v battery from a UPS I had sitting around.

one thing someone told me at my local club meeting was to actually practice using everything in the kit, not just assume you know how because you set it up at home. apparently a lot of people pack stuff they've never actually operated under pressure and then fumble around during an actual event. makes sense when you think about it

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.