Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 99
A 11
K 2 Quiet
X-Ray B8.5
Wind 384.4 km/s
Aurora 3
Updated 14:00 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Good 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

Northern Ham

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Blog Entries posted by Northern Ham

  1. I should back up a bit. I live in northern Minnesota, which sounds like it should be great for radio because there's not a lot of electrical interference out here, and that part is true. But I'm also running a pretty modest setup - a 100 watt transceiver into a wire dipole that I strung up between two spruce trees last fall. Nothing fancy. I've been reading forums for months about how people work Europe and Japan and all these exotic places, and I kept thinking that was for guys with beam antennas on towers and amplifiers. Not me.
    Anyway, Saturday morning I got up early because I couldn't sleep. It was maybe 5:30 local time, still dark out, and I wandered into the shack mostly just to see what was happening. I pulled up a propagation website to check the solar flux and K-index before even turning the radio on. Solar flux was sitting around 145, which is pretty solid for this part of the solar cycle, and the K-index was 1. That's quiet. Like, really quiet. I've learned enough by now to know that a low K-index means the geomagnetic field is calm and that's generally good news for the higher HF bands.
    I tuned around 17 meters first because I'd had a few decent contacts on that band before, mostly stateside. Nothing jumping out at me. Then I slid up to 15 meters and that's where things got interesting. There was this wall of signals, way more than I usually hear on that band. European stations calling CQ, some kind of contest going on I think, and signals that were genuinely loud. Like, S7 and S8 on stations that I knew had to be thousands of miles away based on the prefixes I was hearing.
    I sat there for probably twenty minutes just listening and tuning around. I'll be honest, I was nervous. DX pile-ups intimidate me. You hear five or six stations all calling at once and it feels like chaos. But I found a station from Portugal who was calling CQ and not getting a huge pile on him at that moment. I took a breath, waited for his CQ to finish, and called him.
    He came back to me on the second call. Just like that. I gave him a signal report, he gave me one back, we exchanged the basics, and that was it. Thirty seconds maybe. But I was grinning like an idiot. Portugal. From my backyard dipole in Minnesota at six in the morning.
    I logged it and then just kept going. Over the next two hours I worked stations in Spain, Germany, and one in the Canary Islands. The Canary Islands one felt especially cool because I had to look up where they even were. Off the coast of Africa, apparently. That blew my mind a little.
    What I took away from this experience, and this is the part I want to remember for myself as much as anything, is that propagation timing is everything. I've tried to work DX before in the afternoon and gotten nowhere. But that morning opening on 15 meters was something else. The gray line - that terminator zone between day and night - was right, the solar conditions were cooperative, and the band just opened up in a way it doesn't always do.
    I've since been reading more about why morning openings into Europe work so well from the upper Midwest. Something about the path being in relative darkness on both ends around that time of day, combined with the F2 layer being in good shape. I don't fully understand the ionospheric physics yet but I'm working on it. I picked up an older propagation book from a ham at the local club and I've been going through it slowly.
    A few practical things I noticed that I want to write down while they're fresh:
    First, the difference between a K-index of 1 and even a K-index of 3 is huge. I've had mornings where conditions looked similar on paper but the K was elevated and 15 meters was dead or full of noise. Keep an eye on it before you waste time tuning around.
    Second, working split is something I need to practice more. Some of the bigger DX stations were listening up 5 kilohertz from where they were transmitting, and I didn't catch that at first and called on their frequency like a rookie. I figured it out eventually but I felt dumb about it.
    Third, my dipole is not limiting me as much as I thought. I was genuinely worried that without a directional antenna I was wasting my time on DX. But a dipole broadside has decent gain in two directions, and as it turns out, mine is oriented roughly east-west, which puts the strongest lobes north and south. Europe is east of me, so I'm not getting the best angle, but 100 watts into even a compromised path on a good band day is apparently enough to get through. That was a confidence builder.
    I'm already thinking about what to try next. I want to get into the log on 10 meters when the cycle really heats up. I've heard that band can be absolutely wild near solar maximum and signals can come in from all over the world at crazy strength even on low power. We're getting close to that part of the cycle I think, and the solar flux numbers have been creeping up this year. So I'm watching that.
    Also, someone at the club mentioned working Japan on 20 meters in the early morning, which sounds even harder to me than Europe. The path is completely different and the timing sounds really specific. That's probably a goal for later this year once I feel more comfortable with the whole process.
    For now I'm just happy that I know it's possible. DX is not just for guys with fancy stations and big antennas. Sometimes you just need to get up early, check the K-index, and point your signal in the right direction.
    I'll post again when something interesting happens. Hopefully soon.

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.