Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 99
A 11
K 3 Unsettled
X-Ray B8.6
Wind 414.5 km/s
Aurora 3
Updated 12:00 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Poor 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

confused about vanity callsign process - when can I even apply?

okay so I just passed my general exam last week and I'm in the ULS now with a sequential call. its fine but I've always wanted a specific call that has my initials in it and I noticed it's been sitting available for a while now. I did some reading on the FCC site and honestly the whole vanity application window thing is confusing me more than I expected.

from what I can tell theres like different windows that open depending on what class license you hold and who the previous holder was or something? like if the call was held by an extra class op it stays locked longer before general class applicants can apply? I think I'm reading that right but im not totally sure. does that mean I just have to wait or is there a window open right now for generals to grab available calls that were never held by an extra?

also I've seen people mention using a third party filing service and I cant decide if its worth the few bucks or if just doing it directly through the FCC ULS is fine. any advice appreciated, been sitting on this for days trying to figure it out

  • Replies 1
  • Views 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

yeah the window system trips everybody up at first, you basically got it right though. when a call becomes available there's a 30 day period where only the immediate family of the previous holder can apply, then after that it opens up sequentially by license class with extras getting first crack. if the call was never previously assigned or lapsed from a non-extra it may already be open to you depending on when it was released.

honestly just go direct through ULS, the third party services work fine but there's nothing magic they do that you cant do yourself for free. the FCC application is pretty straightforward once you find the vanity section. just make sure the call you want is actually showing as available and not just sitting in a grace period or something, sometimes calls look free but the previous holder is in a renewal window.

I went through this same thing like 6 months ago, used one of the paid services and honestly looking back probably didnt need to. got my vanity on the first try just picking something not super popular. the only time I'd say a service might matter is if you're going after a really sought after 1x2 or 2x1 format where tons of people are applying the same day and timing matters, but even then I dunno how much it actually helps. good luck with it, having a call with your initials is pretty satisfying once you get it

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.