Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 93
A 11
K 3 Unsettled
X-Ray B9.2
Wind 423.8 km/s
Aurora 3
Updated 07:30 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Poor 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

finally putting together a proper go-kit, what am I missing?

so ive been meaning to do this for like two years now and after the storms we had last month I finally got serious about it. got a Yaesu FT-857D that im planning to use as the main rig, a 40ah lifepo4 battery from bioenno, and I grabbed one of those harbor freight pelican-style cases (not a real pelican but its fine for now). threw in some coax, a few PL-259s, electrical tape, the usual junk.

my question is whats the stuff people always forget until they actually need it. like I have the radio stuff mostly sorted I think but what about the non-radio stuff. I was at a ARES net meeting a while back and someone mentioned keeping a copy of your license and some frequencies written down on paper in case your phone dies, which I thought was obvious but honestly I hadnt done it. so now im wondering what else am I not thinking of. anyone been through a real deployment or even just a drill where something was missing that you wish youd had

  • Replies 1
  • Views 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

the paper copy thing is huge and yeah everyone thinks they'll remember til they dont. a few things off the top of my head from doing a couple actual deployments with our local ARES group -- first thing, a small notepad and like three pens. sounds dumb but you will need to write things down and pens go missing constantly, always have backup pens. second thing people forget is a headlamp. not a flashlight, a headlamp, because you need both hands free.

also and this is the big one for me -- a power strip or at least a 12v to AC inverter if you're gonna need to charge anything or run a laptop. I spent three hours at a shelter with my hands tied because I had one outlet and three things that needed power. also some velcro straps for cable management because setting up in a hurry makes a mess and you'll thank yourself later. oh and snacks. actual food. nobody thinks about this and then you're at a repeater site at 2am running on nothing.

honestly the thing that surprised me when I did my first ARES drill was how much time I spent just waiting and how little I spent actually operating. so I started keeping a small notebook with all my local frequencies, the county ARES plan stuff, ICS forms -- like the actual paper versions because sometimes the EOC doesnt have great wifi or any wifi. ICS 213 especially, get familiar with it if you havent.

your radio kit sounds solid btw, the 857 is a good choice for portable. one thing id think about is antenna options -- do you have something that doesnt need a lot of space to set up? a vertical you can run on a tripod or even a roll-up jpole for vhf is handy when you cant put up a dipole. also spare fuses for the radio and battery leads. burned through my main fuse once and didnt have a spare and felt like a complete idiot standing there with a working radio that wouldnt turn on

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.