Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Ham Radio Base

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
☀ Solar
SFI 121
SN 99
A 11
K 3 Unsettled
X-Ray A0.0
Wind 416.8 km/s
Aurora 4
Updated 10:00 UTC HamQSL · N0NBH
Day 80/40m Poor 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Fair
Night 80/40m Fair 30/20m Good 17/15m Fair 12/10m Poor

Callsign Lookup
_
Vanity Call Signs Available
Enter filters above and click Search.
ⓘ Callsign lookups are in real time via the FCC database. Vanity callsign availability is refreshed daily at 6:00 AM CST. The vanity search may be unavailable for a few minutes during this update.
Live DX spots
Live DX Spots — 70cm via PSKReporter · scroll or pinch to zoom
Band
Mode
Time
Loading map data…
MHz DX Spotter Info
Recent spots —
Select a band above to load spots
Ready — select a band to fetch live spots

first POTA activation didn't go quite how I planned lol

so I finally did my first activation last weekend at a state park about 45 minutes from my house, K-4812 if anyone knows it. I had been watching videos and reading posts about POTA for months and kept telling myself id just do it already, so Saturday morning I threw the KX2 and a end-fed halfwave in the truck and drove out there.

Setup went fine, got the antenna strung up between two trees maybe 30 feet up at the center, logged into the POTA app to self-spot and thats when I realized I had no cell service in that part of the park. Like zero bars. I ended up just calling CQ on 40 and 20 without spotting myself and managed to get 8 QSOs over about an hour which I know isnt enough to count as a valid activation. kinda bummed about that.

anyway my question is, is there a way to plan around the no cell service thing? I saw something about RBN or maybe a different spotting method but I'm not sure how that works for POTA specifically. or do I just need to find parks with better coverage. feels like I was so close

  • Replies 1
  • Views 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Featured Replies

oh man been there, the cell service thing bites a lot of people the first time out. what you're thinking of is probably the Reverse Beacon Network - when you call CQ on a supported mode it picks up your signal automatically and can trigger a spot on the POTA site without you doing anything on your phone. it works really well on CW and even FT8 if you're set up for that, but for SSB phone you kinda need to either have a buddy spot you or find cell service at the trailhead before you hike in and hope people see it.

also 8 QSOs is frustrating but honestly not far off, you just need 10 to validate. a lot of people will run a few more frequencies or try a second band when theyre getting close to that threshold. 40 meters in the morning is usually pretty good for getting regional hunters but sometimes 20 opens up better depending on time of day. dont give up on that park, go back and get your revenge activation lol

I had the exact same problem at my first activation, different park but same deal with no signal. what I do now is I text a friend who hunts a lot and he spots me manually through the website from his phone. kind of a workaround but it works fine. you just have to coordinate ahead of time so he knows what frequency youre planning to be on and roughly when.

also some people bring a cheap prepaid hotspot device as backup, never tried that myself but ive heard it helps in marginal coverage areas.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, Ham Radio Base earns from qualifying purchases. Some links throughout this website may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Your support helps us continue creating free articles, tutorials, reviews, and resources for the amateur radio community. N0TLB © Ham Radio Base - Powered by the Ham CQ DX Community. All rights reserved.

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.