first POTA activation didn't go quite how I planned lol
- Replies 1
- Views 12
- Created
- Last Reply
Top Posters In This Topic
-
QRP Guy 1 post
-
Robert Moore 1 post
A better way to browse. Learn more.
A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.
so I finally did my first activation last weekend at a local state park, K-4857 if anyone's familiar with it. Been a ham for about 8 months now and kept seeing people post their POTA logs and figured I'd give it a shot. Spent way too long on the pota.app site the night before trying to understand how park references work and whether I needed to be in a specific spot inside the park or just anywhere within the boundary. Ended up just parking near the trailhead and setting up my KX2 with a random wire thrown up in a tree.
Anyway I got my 10 contacts but it took almost two hours which I wasn't expecting. I kept losing pile-ups if you can even call them that, more like a trickle of callers. Spotted myself on the app and that helped a lot actually. I think my signal wasn't great, maybe the antenna wasn't high enough or the feedpoint was too low. Also wasnt sure when to move frequencies if nobody's calling. Do you guys just hang tight or start chasing parks yourself to pass the time? I want to do another one but want to be a bit more prepared this time.
Link to comment
https://www.hamradiobase.com/forums/topic/8317-first-pota-activation-didnt-go-quite-how-i-planned-lol/Share on other sites